VonGruff
(.400 member)
06/05/17 02:20 PM
Re: So... Varmint Rifles?

My 20 VarTarg is the result of starting with hornets and 22-250's in the 70's and wanting the manners of the hornet with the accuracy of the 22-250. The 17 Rem was troublesome with wind drift and fouling so while I liked the idea of the 17 on the fireball case the reputation of the 17cal put me off. When the 204 Ruger came out I started to see some daylight but thought that if the cartridge was the fireball case rather than the 222mag it would be about perfect. I googled 20-221 and all the information on this fantastic little cartridge was at my disposal.
I bought a X R 100 Rem in 204 and sent it off to be converted which was a simple chamber shortening of 16mm and rechambering with the 20 VarTarg reamer.

Shooting down into the .2s was common

But my skite group was a .084

I found the thumbhole stock to be a bear for a walking shooter so made a new conventional styled stock, had the barrel shortened and a suppressor added and now have about the perfect walking rabit rifle I could imagine.
I was able to get a two load combination to give me the best of both worlds with the 34gn Nosler shots bullet over 9.2gn Blue Dot for 2700fps with a 125yd zero on the same scope setting that has the 35gn Berger bullet at 3700fps over 19.2 gn AR 2207 with a 200yd zero. Most of my rabbit shooting now is be necessity over a bogpod because of where we hunt so the light 2700fps loadis my mainstay but the berger bullet at 3700fps has accounted for a few goats as well as rabbits at longer range (from prone behind the fixed bipod)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com