GABE93
(.275 member)
20/04/17 10:15 PM
Re: WARPED STOCK BLANK

Hi Jug’s,

Yes the blank isn’t perfect but it was too good to bypass. It is the only blank I have had that has warped like this. I very much believe in selecting wood very carefully for particular types of guns and it was always in my mind that it would be best for a single shot rifle and also with extra barrels as the extra forend wood is so well matched. The grain flow I think makes it likely it would warp that way. The butt section looks like it is from the root bole and the grip forwards from the trunk above the bole. It will also take very good work, checkering etc as I checked it years ago with some tools.

I got other blanks from the same area and they are all good to work. I don’t know how the larger slabs were handled but I’m confident the blanks were purely air dried. Some 2 piece blanks cut from the same tree were only about 6 months curing when I got them. They were all shipped surface mail and the sides of the blanks went mouldy, black, in the box’s, with the box’s also damp. Luckily they were thick, I was able to mill the sides down to remove the mould and still have thick enough blanks.

I actually have 2 other blanks with extra wood that I regard as better than this one. Both are single sticks of wood but only suitable for 2 piece stocks. One is Turkish walnut with 2 small perfectly matched forends. Another block, English walnut from USA, is large enough to yield 4-5 forends, all perfectly matched to the butt.

Regarding storage here, I think it’s been good enough. I left them as raw wood all around for a few years and then applied some finish to the sides only. They have been through the seasons here for many years, stored upstairs leaning against a wall on my mezzanine floor where I have various bench’s for hand work. I have suffered with them as I have no air conditioning here, just big fans making airflow.

Yes I enjoy the walnut aroma when I work it. I have never tried burning it but it might make good incense. Yes the smell varies a lot. I have had blanks from 6 different countries, different areas in Oz and USA. I remember years ago pretending to various clients that I could remember which country the wood was from by the smell. I suppose the texture and cutting qualities can also be relative to different countries & areas.

Regards,
Gabe

Contact Us NitroExpress.com