GABE93
(.275 member)
06/04/17 11:45 PM
Re: LINSEED OIL GUNSTOCK FINISHING

Hi W,

Don't rush me please, I'm not able to post everything in one hit! I did ask for patience at the start, as I have slowed up a lot, physically & mentally.

The next part of my post will be something about adding amber resin to some linseed oil and using that as the final coats of finish and something about filling pores without sanding between coats.
I don't have the info sitting here ready to post, I have to advance the work and take more images.

I started some offcuts last year with some amber and linseed mix and I intend to test those pieces with water, sweat, saliva & urine and various body fluids that I will extract from my neighbours puppy.

I don't have any test results yet as I purchased the amber and Swedish oils last year and took my time trying them on the offcuts.

In regards to a finish with linseed alone, I don't expect much from it re water resistance, durability etc. If I am able to make more gunstocks in future I don't think I will use linseed alone as the finish.

I have no intention of testing any of the offcuts in the sun. I did things like that a long time ago, the sun stuffs everything up after a good exposure.

As for juglansregia, he has tested and applied more oils to more gunstocks than I have, he might feel like offering some test reports, but he is very busy and doesn't need to be offering any reports.

Anyone else is also welcome to contribute about any linseed adventures they have had. Add in some images, they make for a better post.

Regards,
Gabe

Contact Us NitroExpress.com