GABE93
(.275 member)
05/04/17 11:38 AM
Re: LINSEED OIL GUNSTOCK FINISHING

Hi Juglan's,

Thanks very much again for the further details. You say you have been challenged about your alkanet opinions but I can't see anything that was a waste of time. I don't think you should go to bed so early, keep working you lazy bugger!

You seem to be one those people who have unlimited energy. I probably won't go as far into the research as you have.

I am lucky we don't live close, you would probably keep me up too late experimenting. Another link for you, in case you have not seen it, about using an air pump to help wash the linseed. The pages are bit of a jumble but you will see the method. http://www.calcitesunoil.com/index.html

Re the alkanet I see you mean starting with the whole root, perhaps chopping pieces off it? I was thinking buying root pieces might be good, any unwanted debris might be easy enough to pick out.

Re the ph of the oil, the alkanet reacts to the oil's ph when you infuse it then there is a further reaction when you apply the red oil to the walnut. Were you trying to boost the reactions and improve the colour enhancement by modifying the oil's ph? I don't know enough about chemistry to make any suggestions.

Re a pure linseed stock finish, I don't actually want to use any pure linseed finish's. I don't think even the optimised linseed, by itself, will be hard enough to suit me. I have mixed some of the Groves amber varnish with my linseed and applied it to some offcuts.

I am posting something about that soon. Sorry I'm am so slow posting, I have slowed up a lot.

Re the Amber and hardest Copal resins, have you processed your own? I have read the various slightly vague info online about the process being difficult. Please let me know of any links you might have explaining a precise procedure, when you have time. At this stage I am experimenting with the Groves products. Kremer has raw Baltic Amber pieces, I thought I might try processing some myself one day.

Regards,
Gabe

Contact Us NitroExpress.com