VonGruff
(.400 member)
01/04/17 08:21 PM
Re: LINSEED OIL GUNSTOCK FINISHING

Heck yes. I have been using the storebought linseed and tung oil (although the tung oil was noted as pure) so anything that will give me a better finish is a valuable learning opportunity.

I saw this posted on another forum earlier in the day

I had a friend who was a brilliant rifle maker, literally 60 years metalsmithing (no wood), and he was always willing to share his knowledge with others. I had a conversation about it with him once.

I said "aren't you bothered by people copying your work" etc. he told me two things that I thought showed both his character, and why he was as good as he was

1. By sharing his techniques with others and how he had done something, maybe they would improve on it and he'd learn in return.

And 2. If they weren't ready for the knowledge they wouldn't be able to use it yet. when they were able to use it they would have earned it.

And one I vocalised many years ago was that skills and information that was not shared or passed on was likely to be lost and dimished our trade or passion and having been shared may expand the skill base within the specific interest or skill circle.

Post on as you are able Gabe, we are reading with real interest.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com