GABE93
(.275 member)
28/03/17 06:55 PM
Re: An interesting read on walnut stocking.

Waidmannsheil,
I was going to catch up with you sometime about the Rustin's Danish oil. I saw you mentioned it in another post. I was aware of it but have not tried it yet. I looked up the Rustin's website a while ago. I would buy some to try if i could find a supplier willing to ship it. It's classed as dangerous goods. There's none available up here.

I'm curious about how it behaves when you rub it into the stock. Can you rub it for while before it goes too tacky or do you have to rub it on very quickly? After you rub on a small amount can you then wipe it off smoothly with a cloth pad, with plenty of working time, or does it go very tacky too quickly. When you have time please let me know, publicly or privately.

In the past i have tried various other brands of danish & teak oils. The formulas vary a bit. I have some Watco teak oil. This one can be rubbed a long time, doesn't go too tacky. I have to put some driers in it up here, except in my winter. I had only used it for some small jobs.

I think everything fades in the sun/uv light after continuous exposure. A short exposure to sunlight or a UV light box is good to kickstart curing of various finish's. I don't have a UV box set up but i have needed it in the humid times here.

There are many types of finish's we can try. I also have a tin of Organoil Garden Furniture Oil, Marine Grade etc,etc. I havn't tried it yet. It's very convenient if you find something like that and it works well for you.

The better quality linseed oil finish is quite different. It's also more of an adventure, sourcing and assembling the ingredients. It's not an economy or convenient type of finish. Various modern finish's are harder but i think a high quality grade of linseed with alkanet brings out the best colour in nice wood. It's not just due to the red colour. Compounds in the alkanet seem to react with compounds in the walnut. Then the additional coats with resin added make it a bit more durable.
Regards,
GABE93

Contact Us NitroExpress.com