TilleyMan
(.333 member)
28/03/17 08:26 AM
Re: An interesting read on walnut stocking.

Quote:

Would anyone here be interested in a thread about better linseed oil stock finishing? Not so much the finishing procedure but more about modifying linseed oil to make it a better stock finish.

I started researching and teaching myself about the British style linseed oil finish before my accident. When i have enough energy i can start a thread about it and others can also contribute.

cheers,GABE93

Definitely very interested Gabe!

I have tried any different combinations of gunstock finishes over the years...

Started with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil (usually ended up soft and far too shiny) then tried BLO with Terebine drier and Alkanet Root stain (disappointing and hugely time consuming) but most recently using two pack Marine sanding sealer as a hard water impervious base for multiple coats of Feast Watson Scandinavian Oil hand rubbed (using a new makeup removal pad each coat) like a traditional 'London Gun' satin linseed oil finish.

This last finish holds some promise for hunting rifles under hard field use... it looks traditional but so far seems very durable and can be 'freshened' easily with a little of the oil rubbed in from time to time.

Keen to hear more of your experience and techniques...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com