GABE93
(.275 member)
28/03/17 12:07 AM
Re: An interesting read on walnut stocking.

Quote:

Hi Gabe,
I'd be more than interested. I just finished a stock for my 303/25 I got off Gordon Cussens and I finished it with Linseed oil. Bloody time consuming and I'm not all that happy with it. I'm not really that worried as it is going to be my stalking rifle and me being a bit rough on the gear a few bumps and scratches won't worry me too much.
In future I'll stick to what you told me to use a few years ago.

Bill, see my reply just now to gryphon. Plain linseed isn't hard enough for gunstocks. It can look very nice but isn't durable when you handle it and lick it. Did you use it with driers? If not try this on top of your linseed finish... get some purple cobalt driers. I use the Pebeo brand. It has 3 types of driers in it.

If the stock is dirty clean it with something mild eg white spirits. Then wear gloves, wet a cloth pad with the driers and rub a coat all over and into the stock. If you are worried about the purple colour try it on an offcut first. It usually blends in with the colour and figure of the wood. Apply a few coats with a few days between coats.

This gives you the best chance to harden the linseed you applied to the stock. IF you have any residue on the stock rub it with a bit of scotchbrite to even it up a bit. Then rub the other finish you like on the stock.

If you mean the Liberon Finishing Oil, i stopped using it. I finished one tin then the next tin did not work the same way. I could not hand rub it the same, the formula seemed to have changed. This is why i decided to learn about the English style oil finish.
Regards,
Gabe

Contact Us NitroExpress.com