coll416
(.275 member)
24/03/17 01:21 PM
Re: .Reloading 0ptions for the .375 Winchester (bigbore)

Hi Daryl

I read a post of yours on the .375W years ago, very informative & interesting. I have often considered changing my rear sight for an express style one, I have two rifles set up with these sights, however the Williams aperture has grown on me & is faster to use in thick scrub! Like you I have found the 220gn reliable on a range of game.

In my opinion the design of the stronger case for the .375W helped to defeat its popularity. The heavy case needs to be loaded to higher pressures to seal in the chamber properly, essential for both safety & efficiency. This pressure creates some extra power but at a price of accuracy! The stronger action design of the rifles contributes to rigidity which serves to improve accuracy over the previous actions.

I think that by using either 30-30/ 38-55 cases for reloading this cartridge, better performance can be achieved due to the ability of these cases to be loaded at lower pressures, increasing case life & likely improving accuracy potential. My rifle shoots reloads with AR2207 (H4198) much better than factory ammo.

I load cautiously as the 30-30/38-55 cases are designed to be used at lower breech pressures. I have shot many of my cases four times & most were second hand to start with!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com