coll416
(.275 member)
23/03/17 05:37 PM
.Reloading 0ptions for the .375 Winchester (bigbore)

Hi folks,

I am interested in readers experience with the old .375 Winchester. I use mine to hunting feral pigs in thick stuff with an aperture sight. I find my little '94 to be quicker than my bolt guns & the .375W a very reliable killer even on bigger game.

I have resorted to changed reloading options because of brass availability (the lack of)....

I began using necked up 30-30 brass & discovered some interesting things:

1. the thinner brass (30-30) seals in the chamber at lower pressures reducing head-space issues which caused primers to back out at lower pressures (Winchester 30-30 & 38-55 brass weighs approx. 135 grains & Winchester .375W brass approx. 146 grains)

2. thinner, lighter brass requires more powder to achieve similar pressures (due to increased capacity)

3. accuracy is significantly improved due to a combination of reduced pressures & the chamber seal

My experience is limited to two rifles a '94 XTR & a Marlin M.375. Also I got such good results from AR2207 (H4198 in USA & Canada) that this is the only powder I have used.

My loads using the 220gn Hornady & 220gn Taipan achieve 2130fps without any trouble, many of my cases were fired many times before the necking process and continue with up to four firings since (evidence I believe of mild chamber pressures).

I have shot several groups at 100y of 1.5-2.0" which contrasts with my previous experience & reading on this cartridge. Winchester 38-55 brass is just as good (more expensive...) & need to be trimmed plenty. The 30-30 brass ends up slightly short of spec. but this is of no consequence.

PS.The Marlin doesn't like cast loads!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com