Homer
(.416 member)
08/02/17 09:13 AM
Re: Something a little smaller...for a change

G'Day Fella's,

Yes Daryl, I'd like to test the Speer 125 grn TNT's as well.

Also 9.3x64, for that advice.
I have already had a stuck bullet but luckily, it wasn't to difficult to remove.

Further to this same subject, I explained to a mate and suppressor customer of mine, what I was hoping to achieve, (getting .30 Cal Varmint bullets, to expand at Sub-Sonic velocities?).
He recently sent me the following.

-------------------------------
“The theory behind this is, these bullets are renowned .30 calibre Varmint bullets (at Super-Sonic velocities)."
"I’m hoping that at Sub-Sonic velocities, they will still expand but more like a conventional hunting bullet would, at 2800 ish fps?”

In rereading some literature I’d printed off the following observation was made:

Dr. Martin Fackler, founder of International Wound Ballistics Association, devoted a considerable amount of research, study and experimentation to the subject of subsonic bullets. Based on his own and other research going back 200 years, Dr. Fackler (in a nutshell) concluded that hollow points and expanding bullets are a waste of effort. One can do no better than to use a simple, hard-cast lead bullet with a totally fiat nose, and with sharp edges at the transition between the flat face and the cylinder walls. Such a bullet does not move through the air with the extreme ease of a VLD (very low drag) bullet, but its terminal effect is considerable.

and

“In terms of effectiveness on live targets, it is very hard to beat a blunt-nosed or flat-tipped bullet. Put another way, a subsonic bullet that is a true cylinder will deliver more shock, hemorrhage and trauma than any other shape. Sharply pointed and round-nosed projectiles will slip right through, while causing minimal damage. It has been said that some .30 caliber projectiles are designed to expand at 300 m/s or 1,000 fps, but this remains to be proven to my satisfaction.

Sharply pointed bullets will penetrate deeply at subsonic velocities - pushing nerve tissue and blood vessels aside, rather than cutting them. Unless the bullet hits the base of the brain or a major nerve center, the animal will run away, usually to die a slow and agonizing death. Most pointed and round-nosed .30 caliber rifle bullets are totally lacking in knockdown power at subsonic velocities. We hear the same stories of subsonic .30 caliber bullet inadequacies over and over again, and are frankly quite tired of them. Subsonic .30 caliber bullets will not expand in large animals. The only effective .30 caliber subsonic bullet will have a totally flat front end.”
-------------------------------------

Back to the Lead Pot for me, by the look of things.

Doh!
Homer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com