BillG500
(.300 member)
19/10/16 02:13 PM
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test

My sentiments exactly Ripp. Ounces turn into pounds real quick. I have hunted with a few crazy/nutter keen Kiwi's down on the south island who I swear had Thar genes in their blood and they go to some major extremes to keep weight down with all their kit. These guy's won't buy $5,000 light weight hunting rifles as their gear cops a serious flogging in the elements and is a waste of good money as far as they were concerned. I borrowed and old .308 off a mate over there on one hunt, it had more bumps, bruises and dings than a 40 year old hooker but I was told it would shoot under an inch all day long. It was a Remington 700 SPS which was accurised and sat in a Stug carbon stock. Super light and functional to a fault, a tool not a fancy toy. It was a pleasure to use and carry, I have since then taken a lot more care in rifle weight than I ever did.
I'll just give Stug stocks a bit of a plug while I'm at it. While not the prettiest things in the world and the carbon does not lay straight in spots, these stocks are bloody brilliant. Strong & super light. They are so functional I bought two, a Remington short and a long action.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com