Ripp
(.577 member)
23/09/16 11:15 PM
Re: Do you really need a magnum???

Quote:

So here's a thought: the entire term "magnum" is horrendously flawed. I'd put forth the notion that we have more and less powerful cartridges of all shapes and sizes. Pick the bore size and power level suitable for the job at hand coupled with bullets of a performance envelope appropriate for the given application. Have at 'er.......

It rankles me every time I hear utterly stupid expressions in the MSM such as "it was a high caliber weapon". WTF pray tell is a high caliber???????? Maybe I have too much idle thought time on my hands at this particular moment, but I can't help but wonder if the term magnum is yet another term tending toward the "devoid of meaning" end of the spectrum.

I believe there's an appropriate application for all sporting cartridges whether the may have more or less power respectively, and there's nothing wrong with that!!!!!

Agree with this..and agree..WTF is high caliber??? More media sensationalism ..Liberals trying to make something they don't agree with look more dangerous or serious than it really is..all about their agenda an narrative..

As to magnum vs non-magnum...think this is also a discussion that is what it is...no reason to disparage a particular caliber over another, IMHO...if you don't like it don't use it..simple as that..There is certainly a time and place for either...Doesn't really matter if I shoot a 338W Mag or a 270, I can get really close carrying either caliber mo matter what I am carrying..BUT, maybe I am sneaking around in Alaska or Africa..I'd much rather have a mag in my hands vs a 243 should I run into the larger more dangerous game animal..crazy thought I know, but that's just me...

Finally as to getting eye to eye with them...I usually just jump down on their backs from a tree I am perched in. At that point I can ride them around for a while..once they tire they are much easier to choke out and put to sleep..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com