sharps4590
(.333 member)
22/09/16 09:21 PM
Re: Do you really need a magnum???

My take, for what it's worth, no, a magnum is not NEEDED. However, WANTS always override needs. I have owned several different magnum cartridges over the years, took some game with some of them and enjoyed every one of them but, I don't own one at the moment. Also shot a great deal of long range, out to 1000 yds., with a 300 Win. Mag. and what fun and an education that was. I believe a great part depends on what you want to do....and how your head works, especially if it's twisted like mine. I believe it was close to 25 years ago I pretty much got completely away from modern cartridges for hunting. The old, largely unknown cartridges without much data available became a lot more interesting than the "newest, latest, greatest" offerings from manufacturers. And yes, I know the 375 H&H came out in 1912 and the 300 H&H in....the 1920's I think? Maybe the early 1930's? Both are pretty well known cartridges with a lot of data out there....and a lot of history. I prefer my hunting up close and personal, besides, where 99% of my hunting takes place 75 yards is about all the farther one can see game to shoot it. Because of that and my interest in the old stuff even the old BP cartridges are more than effective. More modern, smokeless powder cartridges from before WWI and "sedate to us" velocities utilizing cast bullets also do everything I need or want done.

However....magnum cartridges are a lot of fun and can be interesting so if a fella doesn't own one or hasn't owned one he should....so maybe they are needed....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com