Ripp
(.577 member)
14/09/16 02:49 AM
Re: Do you really need a magnum???

Quote:

Agreed. One must be guided by ones own abilities and/or shortcomings.

As an aside, wrt to those LD Saturday morning "sniping for animals" tv shows, I can't help but wonder how many shots were actually taken off camera in order to capture the "one shot kill" at over 1000 yards and the like that is actually shown to the viewing public? How in the hell do they effectively follow up on the elk with a leg haplessly blown off? How long does it take to cross a heavily wooded valley in order to get to the distant spot where the animal stood? What about the follow up anyway? Does anyone even bother to walk over to validate whether the shot was a hit or miss when the walk is both far and difficult and the animal showed absolutely no sign of a hit? It's TV for heaven's sake. The Internet doesn't have the market corned on deceptive misleading presentment..... Not levelling accusations at any particular crew, but the tinfoil hat skeptic in me can't help but wonder what really is going on when the camera isn't rolling or what gets left on the proverbial editing room floor.

I have wondered the same thing...and pretty sure sadly you are correct. Not even the most seasoned military sniper will make 100% hits..too many variables most of which is probably wind..and while it might be 10mph were you are..it might be 25mph where the bullet is headed..or in the middle of the canyon that bullet has to cross...farily certain we would be appalled if seen the total story of that hunt..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com