xausa
(.400 member)
13/09/16 09:32 PM
Re: Do you really need a magnum???

I have quite a few Magnums in my gun room, but I have never hunted with one, except in Africa. Even there, a good percentage of my plains game was taken with my .30-'06 and 7X57.

I have never hunted elk or moose, but if I had, I would consider using one of my smaller caliber magnums, like the one I used on the larger antelopes, and the same goes for the larger bear species, which I have also never hunted.

As far as long range shooting is concerned, I competed for years with rifles such as the .30-'06, .308, 7mm-08, .260 Remington, and yes, .223 at ranges up to and including 600 and even 1000 yards, but I would not consider taking a shot beyond 300 yards on game. Shooting at a stationary target at a known distance is one thing. Shooting at a live animal, capable of moving at any instant, including the interval between the bullet leaving the barrel and arriving on target, increases the chances of a shot which merely wounds in direct proportion to the range.

Although not labeled "Magnum", I consider some of my cartridges to be "Magnum" in performance, such as my 7X75R SE vom Hofe, my 7X65R and 7X64, my 9.3X74, 9.3X62 and my 8X68S. I have used the former on deer at longer ranges and plan on using the latter on wild hogs, if I get the opportunity.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com