Ripp
(.577 member)
12/09/16 02:12 AM
Re: Do you really need a magnum???

Quote:

Magnums,dont they makes you taller too?

only if you are 5'6 or smaller..

Reading the posts is great to hear everyone's take. I agree with most of what is said..NO, I don't think you NEED one..but one doesn't really need a Porsche or Harley in the garage, but they sure can be fun..

IMHO, a flat shooting rifle like a .257 Weatherby for an example on antelope..one can sight that in to be 3" high at 100yds and still hold hair on hair out to 400..if you shoot enough and the situation finds it necessary it is really not that difficult to pull of a 500 yd shot..no dial turning or using multi cross hairs..

As to blowing up a bunch of meat, my experience is that this is more a product of the bullet you are using vs the caliber..I have shot little tiny antelope in Africa with my .416 using 400 gr bullets..little hole in and out..but was a very tough bullet..I use a Barnes XXX in the .257 Weatherby..pushing them close to 3700fps...no meat spoilage at all.

Agree in 95% of the hunting cases you don't need one..but also as described it you are on a hunt in the middle of nowhere and suddenly on the last day a game animal is trotting up the opposite side of a canyon at 360 yards, its nice to have a flatter shooting caliber that you have used and ARE intimately familiar with ..NO harvesting something isn't the end all, but it doesn't suck to be successful either..contrary to what Obama has been telling everyone for the past 7 1/2 years..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com