Postman
(.375 member)
11/09/16 09:20 AM
Re: Do you really need a magnum???

Does one need to shoot into a land far far away? Not if one can help it. However sometimes there is no other way. I applaud the reach out and touch 'em cartridges and the rifles that are made well enough to do them justice. I also have great admiration for the rifleman that can make the most of both. But, and it's a big but: can one get closer? Top notch Bush craft and hunting skill suggests one can get up close, save for those situations where some rare and funky billy goat is waaaaay out there across a canyon that must be spanned by a miracle shot. This is where flat shooting magnums play and are highly appropriate.

For most situations, I would gravitate to a compromise that will not turn a scrawny little antelope into bloodshot mush up close, but will "reasonably" reach out there to maybe 300 yards. I won't shoot further. Or rather, I have not shot further. But I have not hunted mountain ranges where I've had no other choice either.

On the flip side, magnums can be tamed by downloading, but non magnums can't be safely hot rodded if one ascribes to the notion that one shouldn't try to make a cartridge into something that it isn't.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com