NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/09/16 06:53 AM
Re: Do you really need a magnum???

The best longer range shooting on a hunt I have done was with my .30-06 pushing 150 gr Noslers out at a quite sedate velocity, maybe 2900 fps.

I was shooting feral goats in the Flinders Ranges and the herd of feral goats were fleeing along a lefge path on a cliff. Using my daypack as a rest, BANG, one down off the ledge, BANG, two down, BANG three down, perhaps at about 400 metres (from memory), BANG, fourth down ... but he was not dead ... BANG BANG BANG BANG, could I hit him lying at the foot of the cliff??? The rest escaped before I managed to finish him off.

400 metres for me is a long long way away. Estimate only as before range finders were available to normal people. But the .30-06 was able to do it until ...

BTW if that had not been lousy feral goats being culled, but say a stag or even a big trophy feral billy, I probably would not risk such a long shot.

But I do think, a 'magnum' with a longer point blank aiming range does make it easier if a longer shot does present itself. Normal hunting 95% of the time, not actually needed.

As for really long ranges, say 500 metres or more ... Not part of my repetoire.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com