Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
21/08/16 04:06 PM
Re: 9.3 questions..again!

I couldn't agree more, there are so many interesting cartridges that are really good.
The M12 is a very nice rifle for the price and the stock dimensions are well proportioned, at least they were for me. I owned one in 9.3x62 for about a week but I could not get used to the safety. It is supposed to be like a Model 70 except it isn't. On a Model 70 the safety operates through 90 degrees, 45 degrees forward and 45 degrees backward or thereabouts of a 0 degree line which is at right angles to the center line of the action. On the M12 it operates forward 45 degrees but backward about 80 degrees which makes it very awkward to flick off the safe position. If you are used to the Model 70 type you will struggle as you have to actually move the lever sideways first before moving it forward. If you try to flick it off like on a Model 70 by simply moving your thumb forward you will find the safety lever doesn't move as it is to far back at that steep angle. As I have several Model 70's which I have been using for years I struggled to get used to it and sold it to a mate who wanted to take up deer hunting. He has no problems as it is his first gun and has never used a Model 70. Otherwise the M12 is a very nice rifle, several chaps in our Hunting club have them and they love them, very accurate as well although with a lot of shooting the polymer magazine cracks. Mauser recognize this problem and immediately give you a new one for free, apparently it is only with the 9.3x62 that this happens.
By the way, that same safety is used on the current M98 Mauser's as sold by Mauser themselves as well as on the Rigby Big Game model.

Waidmannsheil.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com