Ripp
(.577 member)
10/06/16 02:29 AM
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington

Quote:

Not boring at all Ripp. Informative. A couple of notes if I may. When talking the fast 30's I was trying to stay in a standard 30-06 length action. This does not apply to the Rem 700 as a few minor tweaks and it will take 375H&H length cartridges no problem. Hang over from its great grandpapy the P14/M17. The 300 Rum would be my choice if a magnum length action/Rem 700 were to be used, I really do like the case. What you say about the 338 RUM I have heard from others that have hunted Africa with it. Their PH's were astounded how quick and decisively all plains game dropped to it and the ranges some of this game was taken at. That is why I have decided to obtain something even better A 358RUM. Did I say I liked the case, I am also a 358 cal nut incase people have not noticed.

WOW--You will have to advise how that project goes..that should be a real stomper....
Every RUM I have used I have really liked...

In my experience, all the hype that the barrels don't last in the RUM's is erroneous if you used just a tiny bit of common sense..I rebarreled my 300 RUM last year--.Had HS do it..but the biggest reason I did it was I wanted a fluted barrel..per the bore scope of my old barrel, it had plenty of life and accuracy left and I had purchased that rifle in 2001. ..it has traveled with me all over the world including 4 hunts in Africa..

Can you go shooting in a prairie dog town with it and expect great barrel life??? Of course not, but that's where that common sense thing kicks in again...for every day hunting, those barrels will outlast most hunters lifetimes a couple times over...

Metals are better today than they were in the past, people are more cognizant of letting barrels cool and in my case, I take better care of the barrels. Finally there is a large supply of good cleaning products like WIPEOUT which I believe was an issue in years gone by where some barrels just simply were not cleaned properly and discarded as "shot out".

As to liking the case..I agree, along with the RUM, I am a bit enamored with the new Nosler cartridges. Basically the same as the RUM only a bit shorter..which can be good or bad..I've been trying to convince women my entire life a little shorter isn't a bad thing..

I believe the Nosler and RUMs are superior case designs to tbe belted cases. I plan to use them a lot for a very long time.

If I was to build a RUM specific for Africa it would probably be a 416 RUM..BUT, in my experience you don't need any more than the regular plain jane 416 Rem already gives you..it hammers game like none other I have used and is still flat enough for longer shots. Think particularly in Africa, lots of speed isn't as needed nor wanted, especially for the dangerous stuff.

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com