Ripp
(.577 member)
05/06/16 11:00 PM
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington

Not to bore you but in my experiences using the 30's --which I have used more than any other caliber, the RUM's are amazing for larger sized game especially if you use the correct bullet..I started life using a .303 British..once I was old enough to get a job off of the farm I purhased a new Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag..used it a lot..but mostly for deer in N Dakota..once I moved to Montana 27 years ago, I purhased another, this time a Browning SS in 300 Win ..used it for elk, deer, bear, pronghorn for the next few years...then around 2000, I bought a HS Precision, in 300 Ultra Mag...and used it exclusively for elk and African Plains game along with a hippo, leopard, croc. With 200 gr A Frames..it hits like the hammer of Thor..The first trip there I foolishly loaded 180 gr Nosler Accubonds..too fast for that bullet..very poor penetration..ended up using my .416 for pretty much everything on that trip because of it.. Several years ago, I purchased a pre-64 Winchester in 300 H&H..in fact it is currently being redone at a gunsmiths workshop..have shot it some..but more concerned in preserving that one a bit..

In my opinion for elk, zebra, eland sized game..pretty difficult to beat the 30 cal.... I have used the 300 RUM to shoot in excess of 100 head of game, ranging from elk to deer to bears to African plains game..it has never failed me even once...incredible caliber. If I were to change calibers when traveling to Africa for plains game, I would probably grab my 338 RUM...which is insane in both penetration and knock down power.

Last year I tried the 7 RUM using 160 gr Accubonds..(I am a slow learner) for the fall season here in MT on elk...shot a bull opening morning..made a pretty good hit on him at about 345 yards as he was coming through the flats..he dropped to the shot, got back up and started again, I shot again..and again..and again..he finally stayed put on the 4th shot..in gutting him out, again, I was not getting the penetration I needed ..Not suggesting this was the caliber's fault, more the bullet and have since switched the reloads to a different bullet...I have seen the 7 RUM in action on other game such as mountain goats and elk with very good results..BUT, and this is just my opinion, but the effect on game seems just a bit different when smacked with a fast 30...not as dramatic as when using the 375 vs 416, but noticeable just the same..

To this day, with all my rifles I have, when the temps drop, snow starts flying and elk are moving, its the 300RUM I grab for and head out the door..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com