Postman
(.375 member)
11/04/16 07:15 AM
Re: Poor shooting Weatherby, what to do?

True enough that bullet weight and bullet construction are two variables that will impact accuracy. There will be an upper limit to bullet weight and their propensity for good accuracy based on the twist rate in a given bore. The K95 previously referenced is in 270 Winchester and I've fed it weights from 110 grains to 140 grains with stellar results. Bullet construction is also important obviously. I've not tried all manner of bullet styles but so far, so good. I do try to avoid bullets such as the old now discontinued "Failsafes" that I have found to be poor accuracy performers for me in the past and I will in all likelihood be shooting a good quality premium bullet in any event. Bargain basement bullets, while they may be ok, would not be my go to bullet when seeking accuracy.

Not all loads can be magical. That is unrealistic, however I stand behind my conviction that a modern bolt gun should be able to shoot MOA out of the box. If it pleases the forum, I will further hedge the statement by suggesting a bolt rifle should be able to do so with a tuned load of it's liking. Where I get frustrated with the lightweights is when I struggle to get them to shoot at least one reasonable/representative load under an MOA. I define reasonable/representative as a load typical of the caliber, not a load that is at the far ends of the spectrum for a particular cartridge, i.e. 130 grain bullets in a .270 = reasonable/representative; 160+ grains not reasonable/ representative in a .270

Contact Us NitroExpress.com