Postman
(.375 member)
08/04/16 01:29 PM
Re: Poor shooting Weatherby, what to do?

I've looked long and hard at the Weatherby rifle in a standard cartridge but never took the plunge. I did have one once in .240 Weatherby though. I absolutely loved that little gem of a cartridge, and I was enamoured with the action as well. The rifle shot ok from what I can recall. I'd think that financially you might be best off sending this one down the road, but if you like the concept, maybe go for a custom barrel, 'cause I'm having a really hard time believing you'll ever find accuracy happiness in an Ultralight with a stock Weatherby noodle barrel. To tell the truth I'd never considered rebarreling any of my Weatherby rifles, given the limited availability of both quality barrels and talented smiths (long wait times and cost) in Canada, but maybe a good Lilja, Kreiger, or Hart barrel in .240 Weatherby might be a really interesting proposition! I believe that the ultralight concept is a good one, but it must be able to shoot accurately when all is said and done. Going for a non fluted standard profile barrel will add weight though, so that would need to be considered. Also, free floating is your friend. In the ultralights, there isn't too much bulk or stiffness in the forend to permit a great deal of Dremel work...... Something to also weigh in to the discussion.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com