Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
24/03/16 05:14 PM
Re: Subsonic loads, anybody use them?

Rolf, at the top of the picture are two LeHigh brass bullets that might be close to your idea of drilling out 220gn .308" bullets. They are 150 grains but the huge hollow point is meant to hold a .17 caliber bullet to act as a wedge and drive expansion at subsonic velocity so that should add another 20 grains or so. I've got no idea how well they work in practice but would love to see some experiments with ballistic gel and the basic bullet compared to one with a .17 cal inserted both point forwards and point backwards. I don't know how difficult it might be (or expensive) to get them to export. I'm not thrilled at the idea of paying to fire two bullets with every shot, but after load development I only plan to shoot them at critters.

On the left side are 3 640 grain .510" Lehighs, the bottom an empty, the middle one with a 70 grain Hornady .243" bullet inserted point forward and the top one with a hornady inserted base forward. I've got zero idea what works best but am trying to figure out ways to experiment. 21.0 grains of Blue Dot gives exactly 1000fps with the bare bullet. You can see how deeply the hollow goes.

The other bullet is a 750 grain Hornady Amax. They're accurate and available reasonable locally, but my next move after settling on a Lehigh load is to play with cast powder coated bullets to reduce the expense and increase the volume of practice. I've got a bunch of flat point 700 grain rounds cast and coated but haven't started load development yet.

Homer, I hope you keep us posted how your bullets work out. I hope the flat makes up for the low velocity and like you also made up some pure lead ones in the hopes they will be soft enough to expand at low speed but it will be fall before I get to try any in action.

Cheers, Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com