Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
22/03/16 03:45 PM
Re: Subsonic loads, anybody use them?

I really like subsonic and suppressed loads. They grow on you and seem so much more pleasant than loud guns that it's tough to go back.

I developed loads with Lehigh's .510" and 150gn brass .308" subsonic bullets listed above in 300AAC. The only problem is the 150 grain ones are light! The .510 ones weigh 640 grains and with a 70 grain .243" bullet inserted int the hollow point to act as a wedge come to 710. It haven't shot anything but paper with them to date, but the petals are designed to fracture off rather than unfold like a barnes X. Mainly I use 750gn amaxs and now have a mold for cheaper practice.

Here's the 510 on a DTA SRS action. In the picture the barrel is 20" but its since been cut down to 16."

This is by far my favorite suppressed gun:

A replica on a No1 MK III with only a few differences from the original (stainless baffles, a non-recessed barrel and thus full length bolt, and a different mag adapter to use unmodified 1911 mags). It haven't shot any critters with it yet, but have had it in hand 3 times now chasing off a nosey 2yr old black bear that liked to scratch at my garage door. Was always either a car or the house behind him! It is great fun lobbing 45 acp out to silly ranges.

Finally, just because, a MAC11A1 with a 9mm upper. Not "practical" for anything but grins, and it never fails.

Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com