Rolf
(.333 member)
20/03/16 08:29 AM
Re: Subsonic loads, anybody use them?

Gentlemen,

as Germany/Bavaria changed the law about aquiring sound suppressores for hunting rifles last year, I have now the opportunity to test rifles in the following weapons and calibers:

- .22 lr. in Sako P94S rifle
- 300 Whisper in a rifle "Titan 3" from Rössler Austria (barrel 52cm with a 200mm/8" twist)
- H&K MP5 civil version (semi-auto only)

The Sako in .22 lr is even with suppressor and sopersonic ammunition rather quiet, with suppressor and subsonic ammunition I am wondering what happened with the bullet/whether it is struck in the barrel?

The 300 Whisper was tested in Subsonic with 240grs Sierra HPBT Match with Kemira N110 (obtained precision ca. 50mm at 100m for 5 shots) and supersonic with Sierra 125grs SP Pro-Hunter, also with N110 (ca. 40mm at 100m for 5 shots), Optic is a Burris 10power scope.

The ammunition for the semi-auto-rifle MP5-civil is currently in test, I tried the 154grs FMJ Flat Point bullet from Geco (RWS) with Kemira N340.
Precision is nearly the same at 25m and 50m as the MagTech 115 grs JHP factory ammunition.
Optic is a EO-tech 552 holosight.

And now the question:
does anybody know whether the heavy hunting bullets in .308 dia. can be modified to open up on animal tissue at subsonic speeds?
i.e. drilling a large hollow point in Sierra 220grs SPRN
Any information would be appreciated!

regards
Rolf

Contact Us NitroExpress.com