NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/01/16 04:31 AM
Re: remington 788 in 222

My first rifle purchased probably in 1980 was an original model 788 in .222 Rem.

Haven't shot it in many years, but have been thinking about resurrecting it. Still have handloaded ammo from back when to.

Was extremely accurate. Mine could shoot 3 shot one hole 5mm groups at 100 metre - if measured from centre of hole to hole. I was more patient shooting groups back then than now too. Most bullets loads grouped very well and all bullets I used shot to a similar point of impact. The barrel is quite heavy and the action very thick and heavy. Ugly very heavy rifle but functional.

I free floated the barrel and may have had the action glass bedded (???) but will have to check, as I can't remember!!!

Later models had a longer stock and shorter barrel, than the first model.

Used mine to shoot rabbits, hares, foxes, skippies (on permit), feral goats and some deer. With a bipod I used to head shoot hares in vineyards extremely competently and used to think I could shoot a running hare in the head if I tried ie they run for a period in a straight line away from one, until they dodge through the row. I used to be able to hold the reticle on their head as they ran directly away. Never actually tried though.

One problem with the 788 is the ejection of cases is at a high arc. I fitted a bridge mount so the ejected cases woukd hit the mount not the scope. I had trouble with the scope and mounts at the beginning but not since I fitted the right scope and mounts.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com