mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
11/05/03 11:34 AM
Re: What has happened to the 270 Winchester and the 7m

Roberto, the rifle started off as an out of the box Remington 700 BDL. I sent it off to Brown Precision, and Chet did the following work(which I of course agreed to after talking with him): first of all, we went with one of his then new fiberglass stocks. We deleted the floor plate, which made the rifle like the Model 700 ADL. Next Chet really tapered the barrel down, removing almost 1/3 of the exterior barrel metal to save some more weight. Then the barreled action had an electrolis nickle plating applied to it. Then the action was glued into the stock. With good reloads, this rifle is as accurate as my 22-250 varmit rig! The only problem with it is because of the very light barrel, it is nearly impossible to shoot well offhand. However, from a solid rest on the bench, or in the field using a good bipod or daypack it can't be beat. The year after I had the work done, I used it on a Dall Sheep hunt in the Yukon Territory with outfitter Stan Renolds, and took a beautiful 37 inch ram at 527 paces. A couple of years ago I used it to pop some sod poodles (prarie dogs), the longest kill being a range finder distanced 561 yards (on the first shot), but don't ask me to repeat that stroke of luck again.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com