Ripp
(.577 member)
27/11/15 01:14 AM
Re: 6.5/300 Weatherby article

Quote:

I've an idea on this.

imho - A person interested in long range shooting, should purchase a GOOD .308 (or factory rifle if there is such a thing) A decent barrel and action and build it for long range shooting.

Practice with that using the VV powders to get light magnum performance, then when you are good with that, switch to the flat shooting hyper velocity number for long range sighting.

THAT is exactly what we do a lot ..works well and still get in the practice you need..

Per Steve's comments on the RUMS and other hot rod calibers needing barrels so quickly..not sure what his clients are doing but what is described has never been the case for me. I have owned a 300 RUM since 2000..HS PRECISION..have shot hundreds of rounds through it..have taken it around the world with me..no problems..I have also owned 2 customs chambered in .257 Weatherby..developed loads for them under 50 shots total for both..use the same load every year..still shoot under 1/2" at 100 yds..have owned them both for over 10 years..

With the HS, they actually send a target along with the gun showing the 1/2 guarantee and load they are using..one can simply use that load or come up with one of your own..I have always found with a very accurate rifle you don't need to shoot hundreds of rounds to come up with a load..case in point is the 26 Nosler I shot a few weeks back--worked up 6 loads with 3 different bullet types..researched as to what others found accurate for powders, etc and put them together..3 of the 6 loads shot 1/2 or better at 100..so I had 18 rounds through it by that time..

As Barnsness stated in his review, come up with a good load and go for it..how many rounds do you shoot per year deer or elk hunting..1,2 3?? the rifle will last a lifetime and then some..

As for cost of ammo, dont think too many are going to shoot factory ammo..I haven't shot factory ammo in my RUMS since I bought it..same goes for the 257's as I didn't free bore the throats like the factory at weatherby does..hence factory ammo will not work. So, in that light it doesn't cost me a whole lot more to shoot them than anything else..

Finally as to barrel cost..they are only $4-$600 typically..not a ton of money for a lot of fun..heck thats a weekend out of town in todays world..

As stated, this is just my opinion and what I have experienced..everyone is different and that is great..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com