NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/11/15 08:12 PM
Re: 8,5x63 ?

Quote:

... a 105gr. bullet. I did not know such light bullets were available in that calibre. I did know of the 165 and 185gr. by Barnes, and those are longer than a cup and core bullet would be of the same weight, of course.

I don't know of these very light bullets other than from the links of bullets and ballistics earlier in this thread.

Really I could not see going lighter than a 150 or 165 gr projectile in a cartridge like this. Which could be useful for feral game and lighter medium game.

It is possible that the originator was thinking of obtaining "super magnum" velocities for his cartridge for small game. A fox is shown in a photo. Or for chamois/gams where some think a flat shooting light bullet is useful.

Provided a light bullet did not "explode" on impact, one could be useful for roos.

Quote:

As far as 2,940fps being hot for a 7x57 ....

Mate, lets keep this thread on the 8.5 mm and not go off on lots of off topic replies on .270s and 7mms.

Daryl, thanks for your experienced replies on ballistics etc. Always a great resource on NE.

I have been looking at changing my mind on this calibre and whether an M03 barrel would be useful and cool. Was thinking of a 9.3x62 barrel but maybe an 8.5mm would be more versatile. Maybe a .375 barrel, that .375 Westley Richards cartridge really looked cool. Always so many choices.

I noted Mauser does now mention custom chamberings and barrel configurations on their website for M03 barrels and have an enquiry to them currently re the 6.5x68. If so, would have a 6.5x65 barrel for sale.

Of course I still have a dream of a full custom .318 Westley Richards, but not going to happen to get it started for some time. Still have the "tiger" walnut blank though.

Now I have gone off topic too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com