DarylS
(.700 member)
26/04/15 09:37 AM
Re: 8x68S caliber hunting rifle popular?

Quote:

Hallo Daryl/members

I opened up the magazine well of a 98 Mauser action today to accept a 8x68 round , at least I will be able to get to 89.6 mm that is without opening and milling the stripper-clip opening ...according to the knowledgeable members the optimum length is 91 mm to seat the bullet out for optimum performances with a premium bullet. I am 1.4 mm away from the 91 mm seating dept...will this at least give me good performance? I think I will be able to remove at least another 1 mm of the steel to get near the 91 mm objective...I need to keep in mind this is a high performance caliber and I need as much strength in the action as possible...

Regards

Gert

Gert- will your allowable 89.6 mm oal length give you similar performance to the 91mm length? I should certainly think so - you would NEVER see the difference on game, that is for certain. Even 100fps will not show a difference over normal hunting ranges - with the same bullet, even to 1,000yards where the difference might be 20fps if that much. I'd have to check the program, just not that interested in those ranges, expect perhaps on gophers or ground hogs - or maybe bad guy targets.
Daryl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com