93mouse
(.375 member)
05/04/15 05:53 PM
Re: 8x68S caliber hunting rifle popular?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This was made possible by the double interlock-type bullet design which prevented core shedding even at very high velocity. The 8x68S was the very next round to be released with a one-interlock version of this sensational new KS bullet.

About the only thing I would disagree with is the description of th Kegel-Spitz (KS) Cone-point.

It is not a game bullet, fragile and does not hold together. Basically a varmint bullet.

Pity as RWS factory ammo with a 300 gr KS shoots extremely accurate in my .375, virtually a three shot, .38 MOA group at a 100 metres, and with considerable velocity too.

I don't understand the purpose of these heavier for calibre KS buillets, 300 gr in .375, 220 gr in 8mm etc. What are they intended for?

I know RWS claims the KS is a game bullet but it doesn't perform, and is too heavy as a varmint bullet.

Seems to me my buddy Keith mentioned that the Cone Point in the 8x68S was a 'soft' bullet that failed to penetrate well on moose. He had a bunch of them in factory. I suspect he pulled them all.

One must take into account that the original KS bullet was nickel plated steel jacket one that took the early awe - it was much tougher than recent KS. See:

A friend of mine is shooting 8x68S for 50 years and is remembering those "silver" KS's - saying those were superb (he was a culler in former Yugoslavia Tito's hunting grounds - shooting 100 red deer a day on occasions).

And just my 2c - I used 8x68S for 4 years with heavy 13g ABC (predecessor of X type bullets made by Hinterberger) - until I bought 9,3x62. Basically you operate with the "same energy level" - 9,3 based on weight, 8 based on velocity. Taking in account that I hunt mainly in woods and my shots are usually well within 150m with an odd 200m shot 9,3 took over no looking back. If I'd be shooting 200m + with average around 250-300m on game under 500 kgs I'd pick 8 anytime, but would pick some lightest contemporary monomental bullets and push them over 3000 fps.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com