Rolf
(.333 member)
30/03/15 10:10 PM
Re: 8x68S caliber hunting rifle popular?

Gentlemen,

on my first Safari to Namibia I took an Mauser 98 system based 8x68S with an unusual short barrel of 58cm (22.8").
With a 2,5-10x42 scope it weighed about 4.45 kg (9.8 lbs) and was comforting to carry and to shoot.
As the muzzle blast and fire was severe with full power factory loads, only medium to medium-slow powders were combined with below-maximum-loads.

Due to the advice of several gentlemen in this forum (again, thank you very much!) I used the 200grs Swift A-Frame and the 200grs Accubond on hartebeest, zebra, oryx and springbok. Sierra 200grs Matchking bullets were used for training and sighting-in.

If the animal was not standing broadside, the 200grs Accubond stayed within the animal.
I would not use it again on zebra, oryx and hartebeest, although it did not "fail".
The Swift A-Frame did always exit and I had not to think about the angle or position of the animal.

System mauser 98:
The standard cartridge length is about 87mm, but if it is possible to lengthen the magazine box for cartridges up to 91,0mm (and to make the throat correspondingly longer), I would recommend it.
My rifle had this modification, and it is really an advantage to seat the bullets further out!

Cases were produced by Hirtenberger and currently only (in good quality) from RWS.
If you need help for acquiring cases, I can offer support.

best regards
Rolf

Contact Us NitroExpress.com