NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/03/15 06:26 PM
Re: 8x68S caliber hunting rifle popular?

I've used Karl Stumpfe's rifle. The calibre works well. I shot some warthog, a couple of springbok and a hartebeest with it. Hits nice and hard.

My comments - pros and cons:
- similar to a .300 Magnum in performance but more exotic sounding. With history.
- Evokes the African bush, German sporting hunters in German East Africa and German South West Africa in the first half of the century. And also Afrikaan hunters from Southern Africa.
- while similar to the .300's, works better in its range of bullet weights with the heavier bullet range of 200 t0 220 grains. Has lighter bullets available too though, but often these are designed for slower velocities.
- I would like to source and try some heavier bullets such as 250 grs in it.
- disadvantage is loaded ammunition would be hard to find. South Africa might have some gunshops carrying it, same for Germany etc. A problem when travelling, if ammunition needs to be purchased if bags are lost etc.
- the original 8mm Magnum is the 8x68S.

I must have liked it as I added a barrel to my Mauser M03 for it. Planning to take it up to the NT later this year if things go as planned.

I bought mine as it was planned to be my "world hunting rifle" for medium game. Flat shooting and hard hitting. Powerful to take virtually any game with proper bullets and shots.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com