Norman4
(.300 member)
25/01/15 02:21 PM
Re: 9.3x62--The Germans 338...

I have used the 9.3x62mm for years. It is an underrated cartridge here in the US. I suspect we Americans feel the need for more flash and bang. The .338 is a Western cartridge. It was designed for western game at western distances. I have owned a well stocked .375 which I preferred shooting over a poorly stocked .338. That .338 pounded my cheekbones mercilessly. Muzzle flash was horrendous. But those are individual rifles. Either one was more than adequate for big game. I now own and shoot 3 different 9.3x62s. One of the first CZ550 Luxe to come into the country after the collapse of the Iron Curtain, and two Husqvarnas built on FN1950 actions. I can bench rest any of the three for a day, and have done so before, and walk away with all my parts still in place. The round appears to function smoothly and flawlessly in any bolt action. No doubt the lack of a belted case can't hurt in this department. It works in standard, non-magnum actions, and usually affords the shooter at least one more, and sometimes two more extra cartridges in the magazine. What I'm saying is it makes for a handy, light, fast rifle to carry in the field. I haven't shot a 9.3 that didn't exhibit excellent accuracy. There are factory loads capable of three shot one hole groups. Norma had a few. RWS had at least one. Then theres the killing thing. A .366 caliber bullet weighing 286 grains drives straight through most anything for thin skinned game. It knocks things down. I shot one of our smaller wolf hybrids with one once and flipped it upside down. Yes it was only a small animal in the fifty pound range, but the bullet has an incredible effect on game. I have made many one shot kills on deer and bear. It would work well on Elk in timber. I doubt there's a handier bear rifle that'll get the job done any better. I have no experience with the tougher African animals that many here have, but there is plenty of evidence as to the 9.3s lethality. I have no argument against the .338 or .375! Wonderful cartridges. It's just a shame more Americans aren't familiar with the 9.3x62. (and dare I suggest, the 8x57 either....) Cheers. Norman4

Contact Us NitroExpress.com