gmsemel
(.224 member)
28/07/14 12:20 AM
Re: What is the perfect hunting cartridge???

Well all in all they seem to recommend moderate cartridges, 7mm RM 338 or a 375, I could agree with that and that they are quite common were ever big game is hunted. While the perfect cartridge for hunting White Tails in South Eastern CT on Private land ( you can use centerfire rifles if you do in CT) would make the suggested cartridges a bit over powerful for the game and the distances one shoots deer here, a 243 is plenty thou I shoot a 6.5 x 55 most of the time in my deer hunting here, I also been known to use both a 7mm RM, 338 Winchester and 7 x 57. Sure you could fit a 9.3 x 62 into the mix instead of a 338 or 375 and it would make perfect sense, since the performance levels are similar. Or a 30-06 for that matter, what they are really saying is a level of performance at an except able level of recoil, in a rifle that an less that physically fit individual that can carry and shoot reasonably well enough to get the job done. Lets face it, most never get to hunt the sort of game mentioned till late middle age or into ones 60's since younger persons don't have the money yet for such things and for most its a one hunt in a life time, I could be happy shooting my white tails with a 223 if it was legal, its not, or a 243, the deer here for the most part average about 100 lbs or so and shots well a long one would be 70 yards!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com