Ripp
(.577 member)
03/06/14 05:51 PM
Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington..

Quote:

There is also the new school of thought, well - maybe not that new, that barrel life has a lot to do with powder burn rate. Cartridges like the 6mm Competition Match and the 6.5 SAUM are proving long barrel life by using lots of slower burning powder such as H1000 with a long barrel. Doing this is supposed to yield cooler burning by spreading out the process through more of the barrel so the heat isn't as concentrated at the throat. I don't know if the 26 Nosler uses this approach, the way to tell is how short they make the barrel as you need more length to let all of the powder burn. Anyway, I been researching this a little bit following he GA Precision work on the 6.5 SAUM as well as looking into the 6mm CM. my next project is likely to be a .243 30deg which is very similar the the 6mm CM.

I recently took my HS Precision to their factory and had it bore scoped..was interesting to see ..the barrel was really clean with the exception of about a 3 inch section just ahead of where the bullet left the case and the majority of the powder was burning behind the bullet..we spend about 2 hours trying to get the buildup out of there..

Talked to one of the workers there who stated basically this is very common on Ultra's or many that are very overbore with big powder charges behind them..I suspect the 26 Nosler will be very similar..and they are coming with 26" barrels..

Talked to Nosler yesterday for a bit on the phone about what powders they were suggesting for the 26Nosler for reloading..H1000, Retumbo were a couple mentioned..however the tech stated he felt Nosler would be releasing reload info shortly --before the end of this current month...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com