Ripp
(.577 member)
28/05/14 04:53 AM
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances?

As I kid growing up in the plains, all we ever had was open sighted .22 rimfires or pellet guns untili we got old enough to make some money and get a rifle of our own..my first was my uncles .303 British..which I used for a half dozen years or more soley for hunting whitetail deer in ND..

Its funny on how now days, I shoot my scoped guns off a bench to make sure they are grouping properly and the loads are chronographed ..back then, shot whatever ammo was available..would shoot at a target at 100 yards to make sure it was close and called it good. It worked and worked well..shooting whitetail with it either still hunting or on drives..seems life was so much simpler then.

Personally I feel shooting open sights is VERY different from person to person..while many claims they can shoot and hit consistently at various distances..have not seen many that can do it...think the old saying "don't tell me, show me" applies here. But it certainly seems to make a difference shooting them as you are growing up and using them alot versus starting out later in life. I still use my fathers .22 Winchester open sighted from time to time as well as my Marlin 22 lever action..they are both still very accurate if I do my part.

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com