NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/05/14 11:13 PM
Open sight rifle shooting distances?

The NE forums are probably a good place to ask this. We have a lot of members shooting, often classic, open sighted rifles, for hunting.

What sort of distances do you shoot your open sighted rifles at, at game? What sort of circumstances, ie tell us a little about it?

I include V sights and also peep sights here. Tell us which one you are using too please.

I enjoy using my V sights but most usually as most people do, use a scope nowadays. I grew up first starting rifle shooting with an old, self refurbished Lithgow single shot .22 rimfire, with its crude rear sight. Was quite good with it too. Then when I upgraded to a .222 Rem with a scope and a .22 RF Anshutz with a scope, lost a lot of ability with open sights. I think one is more careful and takes slower better shots with the open sights. But I could head shoot rabbits with it to maybe a hundred yards (.22 RF) but usually much much closer. Was a better stalker then too for that reason. Usually I would only take closer shots with open sights.

Would be great to hear of others experiences and what is considered reasonable and sensible from others from their own experiences. Thanks.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com