Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
22/05/14 12:25 AM
Re: What is the perfect hunting cartridge???

Quote:

I donīt know why to make difference between .375 H&H and .338 Win Mag for North America, both are for long action. IMO .30-06 or 8x57 IS should be enough for any animal in north, even for grizzly and moose if the gun bearer could property do his work when pulling trigger. Good alternative could be .338-06 i.e. 8,5x63 which is now factory ammo in Europe.

Igorrock ,I totally agree.
Chip Hailstone of Life below Zero fame ,who I correspond with uses Finnish Mosin Nagant rifles in 7.62x53/7.62x54R (the ballistic equivalent of the 30-06)for most of his families sustenance hunting in Alaska . Chip has literally killed thousands of big game animals without an issue and he mostly uses Czech military ball ammo (I know because I asked him).Brown Bear and Polar Bear rarely need a follow up shot. Of course Chip is a most excellent marksman but again it proves "Magnun Mania" is a psychological buffer for mostly people who cant shoot .Our family has killed hundreds of head of big game in Montana and Afrika and guess what ;no magnums.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com