xausa
(.400 member)
25/12/13 11:34 PM
Left handed bolt gun

After two years of treatment for a condition in my right eye which all but precludes my shooting with it, I am ready to bite the bullet and try out shooting from my left shoulder. I have various single shots and double rifles and drillings which, aside from the stocks, are suitable for left hand use, but I am an old bolt gun shooter and I want something I can be comfortable with.

I have read the pros and cons of the various factory LH rifles, including the Remington, the Savage, the Ruger and the Tikka, but they all have features which don't appeal to me. I am looking for the equivalent of a controlled round feed Model 70 Winchester in a caliber of the .308 family, .308, .260 Remington, 7mm-08 or as a last resort .243.

The Ruger comes closest to filling my specifications, but from years of experience with Ruger single shots I feel as though finding a Ruger with a barrel which will really shoot is about a 50-50 gamble, and I would prefer to avoid that if possible. Evidently Winchester made up some LH Model 70's at some point, but none in calibers I am interested in.

I would appreciate any comments based on first hand personal experience.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com