DarylS
(.700 member)
17/09/13 12:07 AM
Re: What is the slickest feeding bolt action rifle cartridge?

Yes - very odd to have a straight sided case fail to extract - that is, one with .010" or less taper. Many so-called modern straight cases actually have more taper and thus are prone to sticking with high pressures.

All of my high stepping Ackley Improved wildcats have fed and extracted perfectly - in the Mauser rifles used and only the little finger is needed to lift the bolt for primary extraction.

It is the high pressure more tapered cases that give grief with extraction- but - the pressures have to be way over the top for that to happen, barring chamber problems.

The grossly tapered NE's are such low pressure that their poor and sticky case shape allows easy extraction even in the African heat- due to little or no expansion- ie: low pressure.

There are times when developing loads for the Ackley Improved rounds, that one has to stop and go backwards just out of fear or concern as the normal pressure indicators like sticky cases just aren't there. My .375.06 Imp. is a prime example.

When you exceed .375H&H factory ballistics with a .30/06 case, you've necessarily gone too far, yet little finger extraction and no case head expansion. I am directly referring to 2,750fps with a 270gr. TSX.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com