StephenCoker
(.300 member)
12/12/12 03:38 AM
Long Range & Svelte???

Alright NitroExpress, I seek your input. I have need of a long-ish range rifle, but I want to maintain the classic and svelte lines, as well as the "carry-ability" of the iron-sighted vintage sporters I enjoy so much carrying afield. Let's set the parameters: First, I realize "long-ish range" is subjective. Let's set this at 400-450 for now. Its mission should be flexible, we might pursue coyotes or pronghorn. Maybe elk, but I prefer stalking them much, much closer! I'd like something scoped, but again, I like classic and svelte lines. Of the scoped magazine rifles, drillings, and stalking rifles I have, none are no more than 4x, and often no more than 2.5x. I wouldn't mind a bit more magnification, but don't want anything bulky. I'm okay with 4x if need be. The way a rifle feels is very important to me.

I picked up a Ross M-10 a few years back. It really, really wants to shoot with the irons sights and my handloads of Woodleighs of the proper .287" diameter. To get the most potential out of that rifle and cartridge combination I am considering scoping it. To me that rifle and its .280 Ross cartridge just scream both "long-ish" range and svelte lines in equal proportion.

So, what type of scope and mount are we thinking? A custom mount will most likely have to be made, and that is quite alright. What rifle/scope combinations do you prefer that fit the above mentioned perimeters?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com