DarylS
(.700 member)
02/10/12 01:09 AM
Re: 6.5x47L

Homer - the 'dry' bore syndrome is different for the first shot, than shots fired afterwards.

After the first shot is fired, the bore is then lubricated by that shot's powder fouling as well as for sucessive shots. That is the way a BR shooter explained it to me. It is the first shot that is the problem. Some solvents and oils adjust the first shot's impact - Ed's Red was always famous amongst some BR shooters and hunters as the first shot was always supposed to be in the 'group'. Other oils and solvents could drop that first shot up to 3" away.

I was not suggesting mixing patch out with Kroil - I only mentioned that to show what I use at the range. I also use this after dry the bore after Wipe Out is used, to lubricate the first shot. Before shooting, the 'oiled' bore is patched with one or two patches before firing, that is all.

There will be a vestige of lubricant left in the bore for that first, all important shot. It will prevent the guilding metal stripping that happens with the first shot through "after Wipe Out cleaning" dry, non-lubricated bore.

If you don't accept that, that's fine - I am just passing on a warning given concerning the use of Wipe Out and I surmise, Patch Out. This warning also goes with CR10 and other Ammonia solvents. I susepct the oil in Sweets might be too thick to remain in the bore, after drying with patches but perhaps some stays, I don't know.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com