Red
(.224 member)
16/01/12 02:02 PM
Re: .244 H&H loads

Thanks all for the replies,

Trophet1, that's why I'm on here, i have no wish to end up wearing a bolt in the face or blowing a new gun to bits.

500 Nitro, I'm in SA if you know anyone here that has/had one? I'm thinking of using any of the ADI range of powders as they are readily available to me. I have got the Ackley books and there is data in them up to 100 grain projectiles I think (I'm away for work at the moment so can't go and pull them off the shelf to confirm) but i was hoping to go up to 115 grain.
Ackley lists a few loads for H4831 (again, I'm doing this from memory at the moment so if someone can correct me till i can get home and get my research in front of me please do) which is 'about' equivalent to ADI AR2213sc or AR2217 going by the conversion chart in the back of my ADI book.

My question would be, why did he use that type of powder? is it because that was the slowest powder at the time? or is there another reason that I'm too inexperienced to see?

I would just like to know as there seems to be a number of slower powders on the market now, so would these be more suitable/safer?

I've found some data on the reloaders nest website but again, thats only up to the 100 grain mark, and they are all using powders that are listed in the ackley books?

I'm thinking a 6.5 STW might be a safer compromise as the amount of data available is huge in comparison.

Any info or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Red

Contact Us NitroExpress.com