Martin
(.224 member)
20/10/04 11:28 PM
Re: Stainless mauser actions

Hi Adam.

Sorry, but I cannot help regarding Italian actions as I have no experience of them. But it is important to remember that all inexpensive “Mauser” actions from Europe tend to be a little “rough” out of the box. See Will’s post CZ 550 – 416 Rigby 20/10/04.

Not all European Mauser actions are like this; Mauser actions made by Herstal in Belgium are available and are superb – but expensive and not built in S/S. The real problem is that you seem to want a “Mauser” action but you also want it built in S/S. Personally, if I were building a big bore DG rifle on a modestly priced Mauser action, I would most definitely not build it on a Charles Daly S/S action – it is simply too much of an unknown quantity.

Surely, if you want a reasonably priced Mauser action, the CZ must be the way to go. With enough work, and perhaps a better safety, they can be made really nice, but of course will never feel like a Sako. Perhaps someone who has had one of AHR’s 550 DG CZ rifles built could post on this, I understand they have got it right. If you are intent on S/S, forget European and Mauser actions Adam and look to the U.S.

Do I understand your earlier post correctly; that CZ magnum actions are not available in the U.S.?

Martin

Contact Us NitroExpress.com