Ripp
(.577 member)
07/06/11 11:24 AM
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:

The serious hunters typically carried the .30 or .338 calibers. I would surmise 7mm mag is a good round for deer and antelope at further range. For the heavier stuff, like bear and elk, I think it runs out of cross section real quick.

Let me start off by stating I dont currenlty own a 7m Remington..I do have a .280 or two--one as I stated in the Ackley..which I really enjoy packing around the mtns with its total weight including scope at 6lbs..

having said that, several of my closest friends do have the 7MM --and have seen many, yes many,elk, bear, up to and including grizzly's..shot and dropped effectively..and many times with one shot..e shot..IMHO, theory is one thing, actually performance in the field is another..

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight really, and I do use one of my .300's or .338 --preferrably Ultra-mags typically for elk..or my bow...but again, based on what I have seen, the 7MM is plenty for anything in N America..period..

think a key as stated in an ealier post by Steve..and is wise in any caliber we choose...bullet selection is critical..and the 7mm or 300 mags are no different..

thx

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com