BillA
(.224 member)
20/04/11 09:56 AM
Re: The "sleeper" caliber of all time....

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Reggie, I had the 24" long 7x57 barrel on my Brno ZKK 600, rebored to .338 and had the very talented Australian gunsmith Bill Hambly-Clark Jr, rechamber it to .338-06. Doh!
Homer

G'day Homer.
BHC Jnr is one of my fav' gunsmiths.
His work is just so absolutely beautiful, functional, & absolutely top shelf technically.
He has created some of the best .17 ackley hornet rifles I've ever come across, amongst many other rifles, & his work is 2nd to none anywhere in the world I reckon.

The main use for these mid to larger calibre rifles in Austrsalia is for deer hunting.
Yeah there's buffs in the NT but the vast majority of em are for Sambar deer.
Not that Sambar take a lot of killing. They can be tough but they are still only deer.
The problem with Sambar is not the animal but the country they're found in.
Get a shot slightly off centre & the animal can & will run, & even 100 yards can see a deer lost in the thick stuff of the Vic/NSW high country.
So, it's important to use a calibre that will absolutely stop em in their tracks.
The 30.06 is a good standard but many use heavier calibres for that reason.
Even up to & beyond .458W.
One well known deer hunter actually used to use a Browning BAR converted from .338 Win Mag to .458 for his Sambar hunting.
There's also heaps of .375H&H's floating around the high country.
A couple of the best calibres I reckon for Sambar are the .338WM & the 35 Whelan.
Personally I like the '06' based cartridges a lot.
They just work really well with no fuss.
The 338.06 would have to be right up there but they aint common due to being a wildcat.
I use both a .375H&H mag & a 30.06.
I am toying with an upgrade for the '06' tho.
#1 contender is a nice conversion to 35 Whelan, but I could just as easilly go for a 338.06
Just have to get $$$ together to get the barrel bored, etc.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com