Homer
(.416 member)
05/04/11 07:44 PM
Re: The "sleeper" caliber of all time....

G'Day Fella's,

Reggie, I had the 24" long 7x57 barrel on my Brno ZKK 600, rebored to .338 and had the very talented Australian gunsmith Bill Hambly-Clark Jr, rechamber it to .338-06.
Bill also bead blasted and rust blued all the metal work. This all happened in the 1980's.
I have adjusted the pop-up peep sight for 250gr Hornady RN and the normal rear sight, is set for the 200gr Hornady Spire Pt bullets.
As you say, it's great caliber and most deer only go 2 or 3 feet after the shot and that 2 or 3 feet, is always DOWN!!!

If I remember correctly A-Square De-Wildcatted the .338-06 and also the 6.5-06, which is another great cartridge!!!

Like the other fella's have mentioned, both the .318 WR and the .35 Whelen, are very good hunting cartridges.
Just goes to prove that most of what we See and even less of what you Read can be believed!
Most of all this stuff is just marketing BS by the manufactures!
Do you remember the BS being sprooked by the shooting media when the Winchester Super Short Magnums were released? Talk about "A Solution to a Non Existent Problem"!!!

The general public have had the final say on these (WSSM's), so most of them aren't as dumb as we might think!!!

Doh!
Homer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com